Another family member has come forward!!
Take a look for yourself (below)!
[Image via Instagram.]
This is serious.
Parents, please be careful. Hannah Montana is hazardous to your child's health!
There's been a recent finding of lead in toys being sold in Canada. And, according to the Toronto Star newspaper, who launched an investigation, dangerously high levels of lead are being found in a range of items, such as toys, baby pacifiers, and even Hannah Montana bracelets sold at Wal-Mart!
Although the U.S. government has named lead toys "one of the most serious environmental hazards to children", the same toys are still making their way to Canada.
The Star used two types of high-tech tests to help find out just what the government was letting into the country to be sold. They found lead being sold everywhere, from small to large retailers!
Some of the products contained small amounts of lead, but others "contained levels of lead that are illegal under Canadian law."
One find was a jewelery kit marked "Lead Free" but when they tested the necklace, it had nearly double the legal limit for lead, while the necklace clasp had 150 times the limit!
Upon the discovery, the owner of the small store selling the jewelry threw out the remaining kits, and said, "These are all garbage. This should not have happened. It should not be sold. It's not my problem. I blame our government. Something is coming to this country and it is coming with the permission of the government. They should be taken to task."
Even his suppliers were upset as they had paid a premium for lead-free products from their Chinese manufacturers. The suppliers also threw out the remaining 100 kits they had in inventory.
Tony Clement, the Canadian Health Minister, called all the findings "deeply disturbing" and promised that if re-elected he'd pass a law to better protect consumers as he believes the current law is too week.
Of all the retailers tested, lead was found in about one in every four products purchased, with the majority of the products being made in China.
As for some items, like a Hannah Montana bracelet, it contained 27% lead, which is 445 times the legal limit on lead in jewelery marketed to kids! And the bracelet clasp contained 1,000 times the limit.
Dr. Lennox Huang, the deputy chief of pediatrics at McMaster Children's Hospital, said that "repeatedly sucking on, or swallowing, these items could bring on a range of damaging symptoms, from a drop in IQ, to a prolonged period of vomiting, diarrhea and cramping, to possible death."
As for Wal-Mart and distributor F.A.F. Inc., they've said they pulled the 3,000 Hannah Montana bracelets from their stores across Canada while they investigate the findings. They said the product was screened and found to be safe, but later Wal-Mart said the lead screening was incomplete but would not share their test results.
Disney did not comment.
We always thought Miley was bad for your kids. Now there's proof!