According to Office insiders, here's the lowdown on what the writers are planning for when Steve Carell leaves the show:
- They aren't sure whether the new star of the show will also be the new boss of Dunder Mifflin's Scranton branch.
- The first half of the season will be about Carell's final year as the boss and highlight current actors on the show as potential successors.
- Harvey Keitel is NOT being seriously considered to replace Carell.
- They still want Ricky Gervais to appear in a guest role.
- By the end of the season, one character will get Michael Scott's job.
As for who that person will be, a source reveals:
“You’re looking for someone who can start stories. Someone whose judgment isn’t necessarily one where when an issue comes up and a boss with a correct judgment would quickly settle it and then you have no episode. You’re also looking for somebody who considers the rest of the office his family.”
Another insider says, “There’s a cool energy around set that we haven’t seen since Season 2 like anything is possible.”
[Image via WENN.]
Tags: actors, characters, michael scott, nbc, the office, writers