CBS News chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan, who was brutally beaten and sexually assaulted in Egypt in February, has finally spoken about her terrifying ordeal.
In her first interview since the incident, Lara told Scott Pelley for this Sunday's 60 Minutes that she was seperated from her team for 25 minutes and surrounded by hundreds of men. She recounted her heartbreaking attack, saying:
"There was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying. I thought not only am I going to die, but it's going to be just a torturous death that's going to go on forever…"
How terrible! We're so sorry that ever had to happen to her!
While reporting in Egypt's Tahrir Square, her team's interpreter heard signs of trouble coming their way and urged them to leave, but it was too late and she was surrounded, then cut off from her bodyguard, producer, and cameraman.
During the interview she says the thoughts of her children sustained her throughout the attack. When she returned home and saw their faces, she was flooded with emotion, explaining:
"I felt like I had been given a second chance that I didn't deserve…because I did that to them. I came so close to leaving them, to abandoning them."
Again, we're so sorry she had to go through such a horrible ordeal. NOBODY should be subject to that kind of abuse, but we're glad to see she's overcoming the traumatic incident and moving on with her life.
[Image via WENN.]
Tags: 60 minutes, assault, cbs, egypt, interview, reporter, violence