Shiz is about to get REAL.
Last Saturday, approximately 15,000 to 20,000 Occupy Wall Street protestors occupied Times Square for a New York general assembly, in which they reportedly formed a "Demands Working Group."
The group "established a website and fairly educated/articulated list of solutions," which we're hearing COULD become their national platform. Wow.
Aside from posting their list of demands, they also made the following announcement about a national convention, which they'll hold on July 4, 2012:
"WE, THE NINETY-NINE PERCENT OF THE PEOPLE of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in order to form a more perfect Union, by, for and of the PEOPLE, shall elect and convene a NATIONAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY beginning on July 4, 2012 in the City Of Philadelphia."
The group's list of
demands suggestions include the following:
- Ban on private contributions to politicians seeking or holding federal office and instead public financing for campaigns
- Constitutional amendment to reverse the Citizens United decision by the Supreme Court
- Single-payer national health care
- immediate passage of the DREAM act
- A Jobs plan
- A deficit reduction plan
- Recalling military personnel at all non-essential bases
We're hearing that it's still not 100% confirmed that the Occupy Wall Street movement as a whole is supporting this, but we're sure more details will come out soon!
[Image via WENN.]
Tags: demands, demands working group, national convention, new york general assembly, nyc, occupy wall street, times square