She just couldn't beat this.
Truly, such a tragedy.
In light of the news that Amy Winehouse lost her life earlier this year due to alcohol poisoning and build-up after a drinking binge, her family has released the following statement:
"It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a buildup of alcohol in her system over a number of days. The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence. It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name. It means a lot to us and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world. We want to thank everyone for that and for their continuing enthusiasm for the Foundation."
We can't even begin to imagine what they're going through right now, but we hope that they can find comfort in finally knowing what happened, and can use this to help those suffering from the disease of addiction.
May Amy R.I.P.
[Image via WENN.]