If there is one thing we know about fandoms is they HATE it when the source of their
obsession love is tampered with in the form of an "adaptation."
Case in point - Harry Potter. The books are beloved; the movies equally so. However, once the franchise started tackling some of the looooonger books, certain characters were omitted from the story in the name of story flow and time constraints. While the entire collection is out now for your viewing pleasure, here are some of the people you won't be seeing in any of the films:
1. Mr. Borgin: co-owner of Borgin & Burke’s on Knockturn Alley. Actually, Mr. Borgin had a scene in the second Harry Potter flick (see above), but it ended up on the cutting room floor. Poor Edward Tudor-Pole (the actor). had his moment in the sun, only to see it dashed away! Sad!
2. Charlie Weasley: It took seven films for Bill Weasley to show up finally, but sadly, Charlie Weasley never got his moment in the movies. If you squnit really closely to your TV, you can see who he is supposed to look like in HP3 in a postcard the family sends Harry on their vacation from Egypt. Apparently, working with dragons out in Romania was more important than making a silly movie!
3. Winky: Not to be confused with Dobby or Kreacher, but still a house elf all the same. The lady elf was supposed to pop up during HP4, but director Mike Newell opted to have more scenes with Robert Pattinson instead. Good call.
4. Neville’s Gran, Augusta Longbottom: This bitch was badass, showing up during the final battle to kick some serious death-eater tail. We wouldn't have minded seeing her pop up, even just briefly, just to see how handsome her grandson got by HP7.2!
5. Karkus: Can't understand your name, don't make it into the movie! Just kidding, its more like no one cared what Hagrid and Madame Maxime were up to with those giants. Not with Luna Lovegood finally in the picture!
6. Twenty-something Tom Riddle: One of the big complaints we've heard from fans over the years is how the sixth Potter film got torn to shred on the screen. In the books, Harry learns far more about the young life Tom Riddle, including the evil tasks he performs to become a dark wizard. There's also an all-so important scene in which Riddle returns to Hogwarts to ask Dumbledore for a teaching position, but later uses the meeting as an excuse to hide a horcruxes in the Room of Requirement. Yep! That is how it got there!
7. Merope Gaunt: Otherwise known as Voldemort’s mum, who got knocked up, shunned by her fam and ended up giving up her baby to an orphanage. Her story's long and convoluted, but meets the same sticky end as most of the other characters in the HP franchise. But there was a more pressing death to deal with in the sixth movie, so she got the axe too.
8. Marvolo Gaunt: Otherwise known as Voldemort’s Grand-pappy. He's the dude that bestowed upon his grandson one of his seven horcruxes: Slytherin’s Locket. Again, another long story that there wasn't time for when Dumbledore is about to bite the big one.
9. Professor Binns: ZzzZzzz. Oh! What! Sorry? What happened? Oh, this guy. Yeah, he was pretty damn boring in the books, so we doubt anyone missed him anyway.
10. Ludo Bagman: Referee of the Tri-Wizard Tournament? Who cares! ROBERT PATTINSON!!!
11. The Muggle Prime Minister : We assume he was around. You know, completely unaware that evil forces were joining together to obliterate all Muggles. Besides, we were always more on Team Cornelius Fudge anyway.
12. Ted Tonks: Poor guy didn't stand a chance, even though they did split the seventh book into 2-movies. Sure, he was the father of one of the most beloved characters of the franchise, but the whole Tonks family got burnt in the end. Did anyone else see Teddy running around in the epilogue? NOOOO!
13. 14. & 15. Blast-Ended Skrewts, Hepzibah Smith, and Morfin Gaunt : Inneresting on paper, not so much on screen. Basically, the moral of the story here is if you don't play in integral part in the plot, you get the axe. Also, if you do play in integral part in the plot, but you are not the main character, you may very well still get the axe.
Which character would U have liked to have seen in the movies?
Tags: adaptation, character, death, director, family, father, harry potter, movie, sad, tv