After hitting the $1 mil jackpot, Urooj Khan thought the world was his oyster.
The day after the state cut him an oversized check for his winnings, the Illinois resident died! Of cyanide poisioning!
Ugh!! It's like a deleted lyric from Alanis Morissette's Ironic!
Everyone initially assumed the 46-year-old man died of natural causes, but, when an unspecified relative came forward and asked police to investigate further, it lead them to traces of the poison.
The Cook County Medical Examiner spoke to the rarity of cyanide poisoning. He said:
"It's pretty unusual. I've had one, maybe two cases out of 4,500 autopsies I've done."
After taxes, his lump sum payout was nearly $425,000. The check was cashed by his beneficiaries, but it's unclear whether those were his widow Shabana Ansari and/or daughter Jasmeen Khan.
Urooj had hoped to donate a portion of his winnings to a local children's hospital and now those poor kids may not even get their money!!
Police continue to investigate his peculiar demise.
Tags: alanis morisse, cyanide, death, icky icky poo, ironic, jackpot, lottery, poisoning, rip, sad sad, urooj khan, winner