When one mother went to give her six-year-old daughter a banana, she noticed that the piece of fruit had something else on it — a "massive spider cocoon!!!"
Maria Layton luckily discovered the infestation shortly before handing what she thought was a harmless snack to her daughter, Siri. The cocoon was full of deadly Brazilian wandering spiders, which are some of the most aggressive and venomous arachnids in the world!
Layton explained that her husband picked the bananas up from Tesco, a grocery chain in the UK, and they had been in her house an entire day before she opened the bag!
[ Video: Watching Arachnophobic Jimmy Fallon Getting Covered In Spiders Will Bring A Smile To Your Face — Mostly Because It's Not YOU! ]
Luckily, she had heard about the poisonous banana spiders and recognized the cocoon. The mother of two shared her story:
"I was so scared - I don't like spiders at the best of times, but have read about the Brazilian wandering spiders - and was very frightened about the potential threat. The spider cocoon started to unfurl so I put it in a sealed box and put it in the freezer as I read that that is supposed to kill them."
The spiders nest could have been shipped along with the bananas, which are exported from Costa Rica. Their bites can cause serious injury and even death — also, painful erections for men that can last four hours!
Layton told Tesco her horrifying realization, but they just told her to return the infested bananas! She said:
"Tesco were a bit useless, I was really concerned about the possibility of this dangerous spider and spider eggs in my house and really wanted some helpful advice on how to act. I wasn't sure if other spiders or eggs had escaped when I ripped the bag open. I was shocked, they failed to see the potential threat to me and my family and thought I was only interested in having a pound or so back."
Wow! Here's what a rep from Tesco had to say:
"We've apologized to Mrs. Layton and offered a gesture of goodwill. We've asked her to return the product to our store so we can conduct a full investigation."
We hope Tesco conducts a thorough investigation to ensure that their future bananas are spider-free!
[Image via Tesco Facebook/Maria Layton.]
Tags: banana, fruit, mother, scary!, snack, spider, uk