Prince's death continues to affect all of those close to the late singer.
As you know, the music icon was found dead in the elevator at his Paisley Park estate in Minnesota and an autopsy later confirmed that he had overdosed on a drug called Fentanyl.
Later, it was revealed the Raspberry Beret singer often stashed the drugs that killed him in over the counter pill bottles, such as aspirin and Vitamin C containers to hide his addiction.
For the Purple Rain artist's ex Charlene Friend, this discovery is just a reminder of how secretive Prince was about his drug use.
Related: Matt Damon Remembers Time Spent With The Late Prince
Although they spent several years in each other's company, the 44-year-old claims she never saw the multi-instrumentalist ever once do drugs, according to People. Wow.
But Friend does admit in hindsight, Prince's behavior makes way more sense.
"He would sometimes stay up for five days at a time without sleep, food or even water, going nonstop back and forth to the studio. I had to sneak in catnaps to keep from passing out from exhaustion. The first time that happened, I asked him, 'How do you do this?'"
She says he would just smile and say:
"Angel food. Food of the spirit, not of the flesh."
Charlene — who was sued by Prince in 2003 after she tried to sell gifts he gave her — says that when the record producer would finally try to get some shut eye, he would cover the windows with aluminum foil and turn the temperature up to 80 degrees or higher:
"He would be shaking all through the night. The first time that happened, I asked him if he was having a nightmare and he said, 'No. I was dreaming music.' Even in his sleep, the music just poured out of him."
After the couple called it off, Friend says Prince's half-brother Duane Nelson, who passed in 2013, told her Prince's stamina definitely wasn't because of "angel food," but because of narcotics.
Charlene recalls Duane saying:
"'We call it the cocaine diet.'"
"It was shocking to me to hear that. He hid it so carefully. I never saw him take even an aspirin. He seemed so health-conscious, always taking vitamins like echinacea and goldenseal."
After that, Charlene remembers hearing rumors that Prince would often "take pills to come down" from the high he got from his live performances:
"Nothing could match the highs he got from his shows. Coming down afterwards made him feel empty. Perhaps drugs filled that void."
And while she wants to "respect his memory" by focusing on "the good things," Charlene admits it was difficult for her to realize the role drugs played in the singer's life:
"There were no gray areas. One day he would be in a good mood, and the next day he would be in this very deep, dark mood. Part of that was just his personality, but I now realize that the drugs enhanced that."
Our hearts continue to go out to all of Prince's loved ones as more details come to light.
[Image via Getty Images.]
Tags: charlene friend, cocaine, drugs, fentanyl, prince, r.i.p., sad sad