A 17-year-old boy is dead after a Snapchat stunt went horribly wrong at a Singapore mall last week.
Skateboarder Jonathan Chow often filmed little stunts for social media, so when he planned to hop the railing onto the outer ledge of an upper floor walkway at the Orchard Central mall, he and his friend Ruth thought this was no different.
Unfortunately, what looked like more of a concrete ledge was in fact decorative plasterboard, unintended to support any weight.
When Jonathan landed, the ledge immediately gave way, and the teen fell four stories to his death.
Ruth, who was filming the stunt, told local outlet Today Online:
"We both thought the ledge was made of concrete, but when he jumped, he fell straight through. I knew it was dangerous, but before I could stop him, he already jumped over."
Mall security cameras captured the final moments before Jonathan made his tragic jump.
Jonathan's father Matthew Chowblames the mall for not having a warning sign that the structure outside the railing should not be walked on.
The Far East Organization, which owns the mall, issued a statement, saying:
"The glass railing along the link bridge is 1.2 meters high and acts as a safety barrier for members of the public. It also prohibits access to the plasterboard box-up, which is an interior architectural treatment.
Together with our building consultants, we are currently reviewing if any other measures, in addition to the glass barrier, are required. In the interim, our security officers will be patrolling the various link bridges at more frequent intervals."
Should the mall do more? Or should the railing itself be sufficient warning?
We just hope other social media stunt performers remember this the next time and think before they leap.