The Christmas Day fire that destroyed ad executive Madonna Badger's home and left her three children and parents dead was simply a "tragic accident" according to Stamford Mayor Michael Pavia.
Pavia said an initial investigation found the blaze was fireplace-related, but wouldn't go into specifics. Other reports say officials believe the fire may be the cause of improperly disposed of ashes from the yule log burned on Christmas Eve. One source close to the investigation adds:
"Someone dumped the ashes outside without making sure they were fully put out. Then the wind picked them up and blew them onto the house."
Stamford Fire Chief Antonio Conte also released details about where the bodies were located. Badger's father Lomer Johnson was found face down just outside of an open third-story window with one of his grandchildren:
"I think he had his granddaughter, and he tried to get her out. He went out the window first. She was right there, and he succumbed right on the outside, and she died on the inside. She was right next to him."
The other two girls were found on the second floor and Badger's mother Pauline in a staircase hall between the second and third floor.
This story just keeps getting worse by the day! So heartbreaking and tragic.
Tags: antonio conte, christmas day fire, connecticut, fire, fireplace, grace badger, lily badger, lomer johnson, madonna badger, michael pavia, pauline johnson, sarah badger