This is incredibly sad!
Last night, former President George H.W. Bush was taken by ambulance to Houston Methodist Hospital after experiencing a shortness of breath.
According to spokesman Jim McGrath, George W. Bush's father:
[Image via WENN.]
This could be a catastrophic misstep for smokeless tobacco companies and a huge success for people who have suffered from their addictive products.
A smokeless tobacco company will pay $5 million to the family of a man who died of mouth cancer from chewing tobacco.
This is the first of it’s kind. Ever. Cigarette companies have been sued left and right for years, but smokeless tobacco has escaped the litigation for the most part.
Said Antonio Ponvert III, the attorney of the plaintiff’s family:
“This company manufactures and sells a dangerous and defective product that it knows causes addiction, disease and death in consumers who use it as intended.”
Mark Gottlieb, director of the Tobacco Products Liability Project at Northeastern School of Law in Boston, elaborated on the subject:
“I think this is sort of a wakeup call to the plaintiff’s bar that there are a lot of victims of smokeless tobacco use out there and it’s possible these cases can be successful.”
We think this is a great step! Smokeless tobacco should be held to the same standards as cigarettes!