An investigation into mall food courts in Vancouver-area malls found some disgusting results. Researchers took swabs from food-court trays and found dangerous bacteria.
Said microbiologist Bob Hancock:
"We saw as many bacteria on some food trays as we saw on a toilet. There was a fairly large number of a bacteria called acinetobacter. Acinetobacter is one of the superbugs in our society that's causing major problems in individuals throughout the world because it's so resistant to antibiotics."
Malls have responded by saying that they do their best to keep trays clean.
Said Ultan Kampff, the Pacific Centre mall's general manager:
"Our service provider has very high standards that are in line with acute care facilities," Kampff said. "Having said that, there's always an opportunity to revisit our procedures and our processes to see if we can do it better."
This is so disgusting! They need to make sure this trend doesn’t continue!
[Image via AP Images.]
Tags: bacteria, food court, mall, toilet