If you're trying to lose weight or start a healthier food regimen, you're probably trying to avoid eating too much sugar.
While it's obvious to skip the soda and cupcakes, there are some foods that contain a lot of sugar that may not be so obvious.
Check out ten unsuspecting food items (after the jump) that have more sugar than you may think!
1. Pre-packaged oatmeal with added flavoring has up to 15 grams of sugar per packet!
2. Protein bars are a popular healthy snack because they keep you fuller longer, but most bars are also enriched with up to 15 grams of sugar to make them taste better. There are other ways to load up on protein, like peanuts or almonds, without loading up on the sweet stuff!
3. Granola is another popular go-to healthy snack, but just one cup can come coated in 24 grams of sugar, so beware!
4. Anyone trying to diet will choose a salad over a steak, but it's what you put on the salad that matters. Even low-fat salad dressing can contain high amounts of sugar. Just one tablespoon of low-fat french dressing has 6 grams of sugar.
5. Milk builds strong bones, but also contains a surprisingly high amount of sugar. One cup of skim milk contains 12 grams of sugar. Pair that with a bowl of Frosted Flakes or Fruit Loops and you may be ingesting more sugar than you probably think.
6. Just a half-cup of tomato sauce from a can or jar contains 10 grams of sugar because manufacturers use corn syrup to thicken the sauce and cheapen production costs.
7. Iced tea is the perfect summer drink, just try to avoid drinking the sweetened kind. Pre-made bottles of tea and powder mixes contain 56 grams of sugar in one 20 oz. serving! You gave up soda for a reason, don't substitute it with something that has just as much sugar!
8. Fruit is naturally high in sugar, but dried fruit is unnaturally too high! Companies tend to dust dried fruit products like raisins or apricots with more sugar, producing 18 grams worth in a quarter cup.
9. Careful with your condiments this barbeque season! Ketchup and BBQ sauce contains 6 grams of sugar per ounce.
10. Last, but definitely not the least amount of sugar, would be found in sports drinks like Gatorade and Powerade. With 42 grams in just 12 ounces, we'll stick to water!
Tags: diet, dried fruit, eating, food, fruit, grams, granola, iced tea, items, ketchup, protein, sugary, weight