It's soooo easy to go overboard on summer holidays like the Fourth of July.
With so much temptation around, FitPerez.com's celebrity nutritionist Lisa DeFazio has some helpful tips to keep you on the right track this Independence Day.
- Choose healthier, leaner grilling options. Instead of high fat burgers and hot dogs, try chicken or turkey sausage, ground chicken or turkey burgers, and grilled chicken burgers.
- Buy low fat sides. Save calories by choosing baked chips, pretzels, fresh fruit and salads. Avoid potato salad, cole slaw, and regular chips.
- Condiments add up in calories! Cut back on a few hundred calories by using low fat mayo, low fat thousand island (great on burgers!), and low fat cheese.
- Beverages and booze turn to fat just like food! Drink your alcohol slowly. Calories are calories. Choose light beers, diet sodas, and low cal margaritas.
- Drink 8oz of water after each alcoholic beverage.
- If you overeat, get back on track the next day!
Awesome tips! See? You can still enjoy a summer cookout with friends and family without overindulging.
Have a happy, safe, AND healthy Fourth!
Tags: fourth of july, holiday, overeating, summer, tips