Yes, it's a struggle. And just when you think you're doing everything right, the scale is telling a different story.
The Biggest Loser nutritionist Cheryl Forberg has studied several of the contestants over the years and has come up with some very important reasons why you're still not shedding the pounds. If you're still struggling, you probably:
1. Had absolutely no idea how many calories their body really needs (and how many more they are actually taking in)
2. Skipped breakfast and, often, many other meals
3. Didn't eat enough fruit or vegetables
4. Didn't eat enough protein (specifically lean protein)
5. Didn't eat enough whole grains
6. Ate too much white stuff: white flour, white pasta, white sugar, white rice and simple carbs
7. Didn't feel they had time to plan ahead, so they found themselves grabbing something quick for a meal — often consumed standing up, at their desks or in their cars.
8. Often had enough calories in beverages alone to meet their daily caloric needs — but didn't drink enough water
9. Didn't exercise enough (if at all)
10. Prioritized their spouse, partner, children and/or their jobs over their own health and well-being
At least one of these, if not several, scenarios sound familiar to you.
So, here's what she says you have to do. By following the 10 tips below, she believes you can but just as successful as The Biggest Loser contestants:
1. Learn your body's calorie needs — you must burn off more calories than you are taking in.
2. Don't skip meals; you must develop a regular eating schedule of three meals and two or three snacks per day.
3. Eat plenty fruit and vegetables.
4. Eat plenty of lean protein.
5. Eliminate the white stuff.
6. Choose whole grains.
7. Plan everything ahead: your meals, your snacks and your exercise. As Jillian Michaels once said, "If you don't plan ahead, you plan to fail."
8. EAT (don't drink) your calories, with the exception of milk.
9. Include exercise as part of your weight loss plan.
10. Prioritize your health and well-being. If you don't have your health, you can't take care of your loved ones.
These are some fantastic tips to help you with your journey. It doesn't have to be rocket science, but it is a lifestyle change. Good luck with your weight loss goal!
Image via AP Images.]