Scarlett Johansson has always been a sultry beauty, but in recent years has put in a lot of effort to make sure her body is tight and toned.
She once mentioned in an interview that "she'd only seen a gym from the outside", but since taking on action-packed roles like Black Widow in Iron Man 2 and the upcoming Avengers movie, she's had to take a peak inside — a lot!
Here are five fitness secrets of Scarlett's that have lead to the fabulous figure she's sporting today.
1. Whether she's been seen leaving the gym or just going for a jog around town, it appears that Scarlett has become a workout junkie! That's one addiction we'll totally support too! Ha!
2. When she is running, she prefers a pair of Vibram FiveFingers — performance footwear recommended by trainers over the standard running show because they are known to naturally strengthen feet and improve your stride.
The actress, who has also modeled for Calvin Klein, L'Oréal, Louis Vuitton and Dolce & Gabbana, is also a model runner! Sources reveal she is a midfoot striker when hitting the pavement, which provides greater shock absorption than heel striking and puts less strain on your calf muscle and Achilles tendon.
3. She's dedicated to doing whatever it takes to get her body into tip-top shape for roles. While training for Iron Man 2, she performed 90-minute boxing workouts seven days a week with celebrity trainer Bobby Strom.
We're not using the term "dedicated" loosely either. She stuck to that routine for five months! Yes, this gal worked out an hour-and-a-half EVERY day for nearly half a year!
4. She's also ready to commit to a very specific diet if the occasion rises. Again, as she prepared to portray a superhero, the actress stuck to a low-carb diet.
5. Last, but not least, Scarlett uses exercise as a means of emotional therapy. During her divorce from Ryan Reynolds in 2010, she admitted that "going to the gym all of the time" pulled her out of depression.
[Image via WENN.]
Tags: actress, black widow, bobby strom, boxing, dedication, depression, exercise, fitness, iron man 2, model, movie, routine, running, ryan reynolds, scarlett johansson, superhero, the avengers