Most parents wouldn't dream of feeding their kids cake for breakfast every day, but if they aren't careful about what kind of cereal they're buying, they just might be feeding them worse!
A survey by the Environmental Working Group has found that a lot of cereals marketed to children, like Honey Smacks, have MORE sugar in them than a Hostess Twinkie.
Yes! The survey reveals a cup of Cap'n Crunch or Apple Jacks has more sugar than three Chips Ahoy! cookies.
- Kellogg's Honey Smacks, 20.0 grams of sugar per cup, 5 grams of sugar per tsp.
- Post Golden Crisp, 18.7 grams per cup, 4.6 grams per tsp.
- Quaker Oats Cap'n Crunch Original, 16.0 grams per cup, 4 grams per tsp.
- Quaker Oats Oh!s, 16.0 grams per cup, 4 grams per tsp.
- Quaker Oats Cap'n Crunch OOPS! All Berries, 15.0 grams per cup, 3.7 grams per tsp.
- Quaker Oats Cap'n Crunch's Crunch Berries, 14.7 grams per cup, 3.6 grams per tsp.
- Kellogg's Froot Loops Marshmallow, 14.0 grams per cup, 3.5 grams per tsp.
- Kellogg's Smorz, 13.0 grams per cup, 3.2 grams per tsp.
- Kellogg's Apple Jacks, 12.0 grams per cup, 3.0 grams per tsp.
- Kellogg's Froot Loops Original, 12.0 grams per cup, 3 grams per tsp.
Considering adults are recommended to limit their daily intake of sugar to between 30 grams and 45 grams, it may be time to make the switch to a healthier choice. Check out some recommendations below:
- Post Shredded Wheat, 0.0 grams of sugar per cup, 0 grams of sugar per tsp.
- Kellogg's Mini-Wheats Unfrosted Bite-Size, 0.6 grams per cup, 0.15 grams per tsp.
- Cheerios Original, 1.0 grams per cup, 0.25 grams per tsp.
- Kix Original, 2.4 grams per cup, 0.6 grams per tsp.
- Post Grape-Nuts Flakes, 5.3 grams per cup, 1.3 grams per tsp.
- Quaker Oats Oatmeal Squares Cinnamon, 6.0 grams per cup, 1.5 grams per tsp.
- Post Bran Flakes, 6.7 grams per cup, 1.6 grams per tsp.
- Post Honey Bunches of Oats with Vanilla Bunches, 8.0 grams per cup, 2 grams per tsp.