This is incredibly sad!
Last night, former President George H.W. Bush was taken by ambulance to Houston Methodist Hospital after experiencing a shortness of breath.
According to spokesman Jim McGrath, George W. Bush's father:
[Image via WENN.]
Think you're taking good care of your eyes and contact lenses? Think again!
A recent study published in the December issue of Optometry and Vision Science has found that only 2% of 400 people surveyed are following the rules for safe contact lens use.
The most common contact use errors included showering or swimming while wearing them, sleeping in them and using a pair for a longer time frame than recommended.
"It's horrible. It was like, 'Mom, I cleaned up my room.' If you go up on the second floor and open the door and look under the bed, what are you going to find?"
He's a little agitated because, as a corneal surgeon, he's seen the damage improper contact care can cause, continuing:
"Once you've got a serious eye infection going in your cornea, you're in trouble. We see patients all the time with pseudomonas ulcers, gray green pus, they go blind. We see amoeba infections from people showering in their contacts, going swimming in lakes. These infections are horrible."
The study also revealed that nearly half of the participants never or very rarely replace their lens case. People are also guilty of committing "solution misuse" by topping off disinfectant solution instead of dumping it out and starting fresh. Tisk, tisk!
Moral of the story? Be cautious with your contacts, people! What's left of your vision depends on it.