Kate Middleton has been looking for the perfect charity since becoming the Royal Duchess of Cambridge last year and, by golly, she was able to find five!
After sifting through "a few hundred" requests from organizations on top of her own research, a palace source says she "chose these after approaches or because they reflected the areas she was already aware of, especially in the arts and outdoor activities."
Upon her careful consideration, Kate will be working with charities to curb addiction, support sick children and their families, preserve art and use it as therapy, and even work with the local boy scouts!
Check out the five charities Kate will devote her time and energy to below:
1. Patron of Action on Addiction, which works in research, prevention, treatment, professional workforce development and support for families and children.
2. Royal Patron of East Anglia's Children's Hospices, which supports families and cares for children with life-threatening conditions in Cambridge, among other areas.
3. Royal Patron of The Art Room, which utilizes art as therapy to children between the ages of five and sixteen, in an effort to raise their self esteem, confidence and independence.
4. Patron of the National Portrait Gallery. As a painter and photographer herself, Kate loves art. In particular, this gallery aims to "promote through the medium of portraits the appreciation and understanding of the men and women who have made and are making British history and culture."
As a piece of British history in the making, we think she'll fit right in. She'll most likely get her own portrait too!
5. Volunteering in the the Scout Association – specifically for cub scout packs and more junior "Beaver Scout Colonies." A spokesman for the Scouts association explained her role to sources, saying:
"She is a big hill-walker and does a lot of outdoor pursuits. So, she might teach them how to pack a rucksack, how to put a tent up, cooking in a camp situation. All those sorts of things are skills she might pass on as she's an adult who's got some expertise in that area."
These all sound like great choices and we know that Kate will do her best to make a difference where she can!
[Image via WENN.]
Tags: action on addiction, art, british, children, cub scout, duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, royal palace, volunteer