Oprah Winfrey has publicly struggled with her weight over the years and her body has almost always been in a constant state of flux as a result. While her figure has always been changing, one thing remains the same in her life — her personal trainer.
Bob Greene has been helping Oprah manage her weight for the last 16 years and will probably continue to do so for many more because he knows what he's talking about!
In an effort to help more than just the rich and famous stay healthy, the veteran trainer recently shared his fitness philosophy with SHAPE Magazine and revealed three key categories to focus on in order to improve your overall health! Check 'em out below!
"Healthy eating is a way of life, not a diet," Greene told the magazine. He offers up these three tips to make every meal as beneficial for your body as possible:
1. Add an anti-aging superfood like blueberries, eggplant, or sweet potatoes to each meal.
2. Take advantage of hers and spices like ginger and basil because they "can help you live longer and fight infection and chronic diseases."
3. Replace refined starches like white flour, white bread and white pasta with unrefined starches such as brown rice, steel cut oats and legumes.
"You have to get moving — no excuses!" Try sticking to these three tips while working up a sweat.
1. Perform at least 200 minutes of cardio a week because "that is the minimum time everybody should do cardio per week." Also, "never walk flat on a treadmill, always on an incline."
2. "Never skip strength training. "Begin with light resistance — you'll soon find yourself building fat-burning lean muscle."
3. Exercise your core muscles because "these muscles are the most important in your entire body."
You won't have a good day without a good night's sleep. Greene says, "You’re less likely to make it to that morning workout if you spent the night tossing and turning, and lack of a good night’s sleep can even cause you to gain weight."
1. Invest in your body's future by investing in a good mattress. Greene recommended a Tempur-Pedic and explained, "I have a Tempur-Pedic, and it has completely changed the way I sleep."
2. Sleep between 7 and 9 hours a night because "you need this to function."
3. Stick to a consistent sleep routine because "a set schedule will increase your chances of a better sleep."
[Image via WENN.]