The US National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) said that the same strain of bacteria that gives you strep throat could also cause a person to develop obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
That does NOT sound good.
When this happens in children it can cause inflammation in the brain and cause kids to develop OCD symptoms almost overnight.
A press release said:
"Parents will describe children with [Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (PANS)] as overcome by a 'ferocious' onset of obsessive thoughts, compulsive rituals and overwhelming fears."
Sometimes it is hard to tell between a real problem and just a kid being a kid.
Some signs to look for in a child are:
- Appearing terror stricken
- Suffering extreme separation anxiety
- Shifting from laughter to tears for no apparent reason
- Regressing to temper tantrums, "baby talk," or bedwetting
- Undergoing sudden deterioration in school performance or learning abilities
- Exhibiting sensory and motor abnormalities
So be aware of these behaviors so U can better protect your child.
The best defense?
Prevention. Wash your hands!