Wow… this is really unfortunate.
A 24-year-old woman, Aimee Copeland, was with some friends, kayaking down a creek in Carrollton, Ga.
They spotted a homemade zip-line along the water, so they stopped to ride it.
Sounds fun and innocent — until the zip-line snapped and cut a huge gash in her left calf.
Now she is fighting for her life because some flesh-eating bacteria infected her wound and led to her leg being amputated.
The saddest part is the doctors said her chances of survival are "slim to none."
Her father still remains positive, having said:
"Aimee has made drastic improvements today. Yesterday she had some setbacks. She was really on the ventilator 100 percent, but now she's only requiring 60 percent of the ventilator, and last night she moved her arms."
Originally, doctors closed her wound with 22 staples and told her to take pain meds, but after the pain continued to be severe, she went back to the hospital.
They sent her home with more pain killers.
After the pain still didn't go away, a friend drove the "pale and weak" Aimee back to the hospital where she was diagnosed with "necrotizing fasciitis" –- a flesh-eating disease of the deep layers of the skin!
Her dad wrote on a Facebook page set up for Aimee:
"The surgeons advised me that they wanted to try to save her leg, but at this point saving her life took precedence. They removed all of the infected tissue and advised that she would have limited, if any use of her leg."
She was later airlifted to another hospital where she had a high-hip amputation of her left leg. After the surgery she suffered cardiac arrest but doctors were able to restart her heart.
This poor girl has been through so much, we hope that she gets the miracle she's looking for and makes a full recovery!
[Image via Facebook.]
Tags: cause, disease, doctor, doctors, facebook, fight, heart, hospital, life, pain, recovery, sad, strong, surgery, unfortunate, woman, zip line