We think "never" is pretty harsh, because what's the harm in a treat once in a while???
But hey, who are we to argue with the knowledge and prowess of our amazing Fit Contributor, Courtney Barber??
Today we are focusing on nutrition and more importantly foods that should not be part of your diet. You don’t want to be adding those extra calories back in after you have been working so hard at the gym during the week. There are many foods that have no or limited nutritional benefits and should not be consumed, especially by those who wish to stay slim and in shape! Read below and see if you have been snacking on some of these items – you may find the source of those unwanted calories!
5 Foods You Should Never Eat
1. White Bread – This one is terrible! No-one should be eating white bread, especially with all the lovely wholewheat and grain breads in the market today, not to mention alternate options such as wraps and brown rice. White bread is high GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates. These carbohydrates cause sugars to be released quickly into the bloodstream, thus releasing insulin. This is the same reaction that happens when we eat anything high in sugar (such as candy), so ditch the white bread!
2. Animal Fat – I don’t know how many times I have seen people order a lovely steak at a restaurant, only to leave most of the lean meat and eat the large portion of fat on the outside. Obviously there are always going to be small amounts of animal fat in our diet, however stick to lean cuts and always remember to trim skin and extra fat off the portion.
3. Frozen Yogurt – Frozen yogurt is often seen as a "healthier" alternative to ice cream, but don't fall into the trap of seeing the word "yogurt" and believing that you're snacking on something low in sugar, saturated fat or calories. While some brands claim to be low in fat, its the sugar content you should be worried about! With over 20-25 grams of sugar in a good majority of the popular brands, you are really eating the same amount as a candy bar or 3/4 of a can of soda.
4. French Fries - Placed innocently on the side of your meal, french fries don't look like they could do too much harm to your waistline, unfortunately they do! With over 50 grams of carbohydrates and 25 grams of fat in a medium serving, you are much better ordering extra salad or vegetables instead.
5. Breakfast Cereals – Most people think that breakfast cereals are a healthy way to start the day, but unfortunately most of them are far from healthy. Containing very high amounts of sugar and refined carbohydrates, they are very easy to over-eat. Make sure you always check the serving size also, as some may claim that they are low in sugar, however the serving size is for half a cup – most people eat at least a cup or two when they pour their cereal!
Remember, fresh is best! Consume vegetables, fruits, nuts, lean proteins and drink plenty of water to ensure your body functions at an optimal level.
Courtney is always here to help! Check out her website HERE or facebook HERE and don’t forget to follow her on twitter @CourtneyBFit! And if U wanna know more about no-no foods OR anything else, U can always email us at Questions@FitPerez.com!!