Oh no please do not let this be the case — we just CAN'T be allergic to one of the best things on Earth!
And yet, many people are: wine allergies are real, and can be mistaken for other problems!
A new German study sent out questionnaires to thousands of people living in a wine-producing region of western Germany.
Of the 950 people who then filled it out, almost 25 percent of the group reported some mild signs of alcohol intolerance!!
This included flushed or itchy skin, a runny nose, diarrhea, and a rapid heartbeat.
So what's the deal?
Well, wine has proteins from grapes, bacteria, and yeast, as well as sulfites and other organic compounds — any one of those may cause an allergic-like reaction. Not to mention, a specific type of protein allergen called "LTP" is found in the skins of grapes, which makes red wine more likely to cause a problem. White wine is fermented without the grape skins.
As long as your symptoms a mild, you don't really have to give up wine — but hey, there are alternatives like switching to white wine, or TY KU sake, which is made out of rice and avoids grapes altogether.
Being severely allergic to wine would be a fate worse than death!
[Image via AP Images.]