This is the definition of horror.
This waterborne parasite, an amoeba called Naegleria foleri, lives in warm and unclean water and has just killed 10 people in Pakistan. It infects the human nervous system and becomes extremely difficult to treat — which leads to death in about a week.
More specifically, the deaths were reported in the city of Karachi from March to September, resulting in municipal authorities launching a campaign in the area to ensure the supply of clean water to residents.
Most notably about this amoeba is that people don't usually get it by drinking water, but by swimming in dirty water or cleaning their nostrils with contaminated water.
Symptoms include fever, nausea, vomiting, stiff neck and headaches… because the parasite travels to the brain and begins to destroy it.
This problem isn't just Pakistani, either: according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 32 infections were reported in the U.S from 2002 to 2011. Only one person has survived out of 123 known U.S. cases from 1962 to 2011, so this is something you DO NOT want.
Stay safe everyone!
[Image via AP Images.]
Tags: brain, campaign, cause, death, deaths, disease, drink, drinking, eat, extreme, infection, people, prevent, prevention, swimming, symptoms, water