While we understand that gluten-free foods are meant for people with actual serious gluten allergies like celiac's disease (they aren't great for those who just want to lose weight), we thought we'd represent our gluten-intolerant brethren here today!
12 cups Crustless Gluten-Free Bread, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/3 cup Organic Applesauce
3 cups Diced Vidalia Onion
3 cups Diced celery
3/4 cups Diced chives
4 mixed egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup gluten-free chicken broth
3 Granny Smith Apples (can also use Honey Crisp)
1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
4 Tsp Cinnamon (if using a Cinnamon Raisin Bread)
1. Lay out cubed bread into 2 large baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes ~ until cubes are dry (not browned)
2. While the bread is cooling, Sauté onions and celery in oil for 10 minutes, do not brown onions
3. Add herbs to vegetables and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
4. Place bread into a mixing bowl, and add vegetables, herbs & applesauce to bread cubes and stir to mix.
5. Pour egg-whites into mixture and stir to blend.
6. Add salt and pepper and stir to mix.
7. Add gluten free chicken broth and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients. If the stuffing is too dry, add more broth, 1 tablespoon at a time, do not overdo the broth or stuffing will become soggy & mushy
8. Transfer stuffing to a non-stick sprayed 13×9 inch baking dish and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
This delish recipe comes from Karena Dawn and Katrina Hodgson of Tone It Up, who are offering their guilt-free recipes to help FitPerez readers get through the upcoming holidays! Katrina and Karena are Certified Personal Trainers and Nutrition Coaches, and founders of ToneItUp.com — a multi-platform health and fitness website.