The FDA is currently investigating the link between Monster Energy drinks and five deaths this past year.
The whole investigation started when the mother of a 14-year-old girl who died after drinking Monster filed a lawsuit.
The girl apparently drank two large cans of Monster and died from "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity."
Monster claims it's not their fault, saying:
"Over the past 16 years Monster has sold more than 8 billion energy drinks, which have been safely consumed worldwide. Monster does not believe that its beverages are in any way responsible for the death of [the 14-year-old girl]. Monster is unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks."
Even though it is very possible to overdose on caffeine, and we're pretty sure it'd only take a few cans of Monster to do it, the FDA still hasn't found a link between energy drinks and heart attacks.
An FDA spokesperson said:
"[The] FDA continues to evaluate the emerging science on a variety of ingredients, including caffeine."
Well if Monster literally is killing people we really hope they can find a link!
For now, we think we'll just stick to coffee.
[Image via NHRHS2010/Wikimedia Commons.]
Tags: billion, caffeine, cause, death, drinking, drinks, fda, girl, health, heart, heart attack, ingredients, lawsuit, monster energy, thin