Looking for ways to liven up your holidays and NOT pack on an extra 15 pounds when it's all said and done?
Join the club!
Luckily, we have Lisa DeFazio here to help us on our way — first up, appetizers!!
Lisa D’s 10 Ways to Lighten Up Holiday Appetizers
1. Cheese is loaded with fat and calories! Choose reduced-fat cheeses in your holiday recipes instead of regular cheese and you'll save around 279 calories and 36 grams of fat per 8-ounce package of shredded cheese (2 cups).
2. Use half real eggs and 1/2 cup egg substitute in your holiday egg recipes instead of all eggs and you'll cut around 90 calories and 10 grams of fat and 500 milligrams cholesterol for every 4 eggs.
3. Use fat-free sour cream in your holiday dips instead of regular sour cream and you'll cut around 450 calories and 95 grams of fat per 16-ounce container.
4. Use light cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese and you'll save around 300 calories and 40 grams of fat per 8-ounce block.
5. Use light turkey sausage or turkey bacon instead of regular sausage and you'll trim around 350 calories and 42 grams of fat per 12-ounce package of sausage (9 ounces cooked).
6. Use light mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise OR you can cut even more calories and fat by blending 1/2 cup of light mayonnaise with 1/2 cup of fat-free sour cream for every 1 cup of mayonnaise called for. You'll then trim around 1000 calories and 136 grams of fat for every 1 cup of regular mayonnaise called for!
7. Serve cut up raw veggies such as carrots, jicama, cherry tomatoes, celery and broccoli with dips instead of chips and crackers.
8. Serve a fruit tray with a low fat yogurt dip.
9. Guacamole is a healthy dip containing monounsaturated fat. Serve with Baked tortilla chips and fat free salsa.
10. Serve fat free crackers, breadsticks and whole grain crackers instead of high fat crackers.
Yum — and super simple!
GET IN OUR BELLIES! LOLz!!
Lisa’s a leading nutrition expert and a Master’s degree level Registered Dietitian, so be sure to follow her on Twitter, and check out her website for more tips and videos — and if U wanna know more about holiday food OR anything else, U can always email us at Questions@FitPerez.com!!
Tags: calories, diet, health, healthy, holiday, lisa defazio, nutrition, pounds, question, questions, quote, recipes, strong, veggies