Chef Rocco DiSpirito, host of Now Eat This! with Rocco Dispirito, volunteered at the Food Bank for New York City’s Community Kitchen & Food Pantry.
He was there trying to raise awareness for the issue of hunger in NYC and the whole nation!
He served dinner there, which included a special side dish of macaroni and cheese to the hundreds of guests.
Chef Rocco was joined by Bank of America employees because B of A is going to donate $2 for every $1 donated to Feeding America's "Give a Meal" initiative.
They will match donations all the way up to $1.5 million!!
So ahmayzing! Way to be charitable!
Wanna know Rocco's special mac and cheese recipe??
Check it out AFTER THE JUMP!!
Rocco’s Mac and Cheese with Broccoli and Ham Recipe
Nonstick cooking spray
1 large Vidalia onion, roughly chopped
9 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/2 cup water
Freshly Ground black pepper
6 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 3/4 cups (7 ounces) shredded 50% reduced fat cheddar such as Cabot
1/3 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt such as Fage Total
1/2 cup (2ounces) diced Canadian bacon
1/3 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs, such as Ian’s All-Natural
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Spray an 8×8x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside
2. Combine the onion, garlic, and water in a microwave safe bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend it until it is completely smooth.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook accordingly to the package directions. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the broccoli florets; drain.
4. While the pasta is cooking, bring the pureed onion mixture, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in the cheddar until it has melted. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the yogurt.
5. In a medium bowl, toss the cooked macaroni and the Canadian bacon with the cheese sauce to coat thoroughly. Season with salt to taste. Pour the macaroni into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the panko over the top. Top with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
6. Bake until the cheese has melted and the macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
[Image via Bank of America.]