Every Italian family has their own special recipe for pasta sauce. But no matter what you say, my father's was the best—passed down from generations who immigrated to American from Italy.
When we woke up on many a weekend, he already had a large pot simmering on the stove…and did we ever love that smell which filled every room in our home!
Here's a family recipe for some tasty pasta sauce:
Dad's Italian Pasta Sauce:
· 1 12 oz. can whole tomatoes
· 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
· 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
· 2 tsp. sugar
· 1 tsp. salt
· 1 whole clove garlic (remove after sauce cooked)
· Water (see below)
· 1 tbs. dry Basil
· 1 tbs. Olive oil
· 1 tsp. Anise seed
· Optional for flavor - 1 browned pork chop or 3-4 pieces of browned stew meat
· Combine meat and all ingredients; add water from each empty can (total about 26 oz.)
· Simmer covered over low to medium heat for 2 1/2 hours — making sure to not burn or overcook
· Stir bottom and sides of pot every 15 minutes
· Continue simmering until sauce is a red, thick consistency
· Serve hot over pasta, French bread or use as a sauce for your pizzas
Keep in mind that the secret to a tasty rich Italian sauce is to cook it slowly until it becomes dark and rich. Also, sausages, pork chops and stew meat add to the flavor of the sauce. Kick it up a notch? Add a 1/4 th cup of either Burgundy or tequila!
Lisa DeFazio’s a leading nutrition expert and a Master’s degree level Registered Dietitian, so be sure to check out her website and follow her on Twitter for more tips and videos — and if U wanna know more about carrots OR anything else, U can always email us at Questions@FitPerez.com!!
Tags: delicious, eat, food, good, homemade, lisa defazio, pasta sauce, recipe, tasty