They say that lean abs are created in the kitchen, and for the most part that is certainly true. You can do abdominal crunches and sit ups every day but if you are eating and drinking unwanted calories, you will never see that definition under the layers of fat on your waist line. Diet, stress reduction and exercise are all key components to creating a healthy lifestyle and they are all of equal importance in developing the lean, proud beach body physique that you are striving to achieve before the summer season.
Diet tips are simple:
• Eat breakfast like a queen, lunch like a princess and dinner like a pauper…your largest meal in the morning and lightest meal in the evening.
• Consume healthy snacks in between meals to keep your metabolism up.
• Drink at least 8 full glasses of water every day to help you breakdown food and produce energy.
Stress Reduction will help you lose body fat! Why? Because when the body is under stress, your glands secrete adrenaline and cortisol into your bloodstream and this will signal your body to store fat. It is a genetic hard wiring that the human body has adapted in an effort to prepare for long periods without food, a condition that was common in the days of the cave dweller. When the mind is calm, metabolism has optimal potential to burn calories and produce energy.
As for the exercise component, it is important to know that you can’t spot reduce fat. So, if you have a layer of fat around your mid section, crunches and sit ups will not reduce that fat. Body fat percentage is reduced by increasing the density of the large muscles in the body with strength training moves. Once you have shed the unwanted pounds, and increased your muscle density, some cardio work will help to keep it off, but it is the strength training that gives you the muscles to burn the calories.
In our Core Fusion© classes at exhale and on our Core Fusion© DVD series with Acacia, we challenge our students with our signature abdominal exercise called the Curl position. This position is a fantastic challenge for your abdominals because you are holding a C-curve position from your core center. Your back muscles are stretching while your abdominal muscles are strengthening and the combination of the two creates a supple spine, a youthful body and a trim, lean waist line. Practice the Curl every day for 8-10 minutes and you will have the best abdominals possible for the beach season!
• Work on a mat, start with your lower back on the floor, knees bent feet flat, rest on your elbows. Pull abdominals in, tuck your pelvis under then take a hold of your outer thighs with you hands. Keep your lower back pressing down and your shoulder blades off of the floor as if you did one crunch and held it there.
• If you fall back onto your shoulder blades, hold on again with high, wide elbows, shoulders press down, chin stays open. If you can hold the position for 30 seconds, try adding little curl movements, oblique twisting and the ultimate extending your legs at right angle (see photo) while you are curling up off of your shoulder blades……pull in, pull in and then pull in again!
Fred DeVito merges authentic, result-producing fitness classes with holistic spa therapies and energetic healing programs in his very own mind/body training called EXHALE. He has also created, choreographed, and starred in 11 Core Fusion DVDs! EXHALE’s latest DVD, Exhale: Core Fusion – Barre Basics for Beginners debuts on May 14th!
For more information from him, check out his website HERE and follow him on Twitter HERE!! And if U wanna know more about spring training OR anything else, U can always email us at Questions@FitPerez.com!!