Thank GOODNESS this woman was there and knew what to do! How scary would this be???
Maureen Renaghan was just a spectator in the stands at a little league game on Saturday, when she saw one of the players collapse on the field. She jumped into action as fast as she could - and his breathing had stopped for close to a minute!
She saved Ian McGreevey's life!
Maureen was there because her husband was coaching the opposing team. When she saw Ian collapse after being hit in the chest with the ball while preparing to steal third, she didn't hesitate to go help. Here's what she said:
“I saw this beautiful child on the ground, and you think of your own children, and I think any mother would do the same thing. I just ran and just tried to save him.”
Her husband dialed 911 while she attempted to revive him, with 20 year old training:
“On the fourth puff, he choked and I felt a heartbeat. And he turned over and threw up.”
Ian's mother is now leading the charge in making it a rule to require kids to wear chest protectors while playing the sport, up until a certain level of the game! We think this is a fab idea, and we wish her all the luck in her journey to see it happen!
[Image via ABC 7.]
Tags: almost died, ball, baseball, chest, child, cpr, health, life, save, scary