Home Videos Photos

18-Year-Old Rugby Player Dies After Taking Poisonous Diet Pill

| Filed under: DrugsZportzR.I.P.Sad SadHealthRugby

teenage rugby player dies after taking toxic diet pills

So sad!

18-year-old rugby player Chris Mapletoft died recently after he took a diet pill that turned out to be poisonous.

The teenager out of Twickenham, London purchased 2,4-dinitrophenol (also known as DNP) online in hopes to shed a few pounds, but the chemical turned out to be too toxic for human consumption. The same chemical is known to be used in pesticides.

Chris's father David Mapletoft was with him when he said he began feeling nauseous and started showing fever-like symptoms. He called an ambulance once Chris began having difficulty breathing, but by the time it arrived he had already died.

David and his wife Lesley Mapletoft had no idea their son was taking the pill, and they are outraged that something so dangerous was so easily available online:

"I really find it unbelievable that with a few clicks of a button that this stuff is so widely available on the internet. We are both incredulous that something that is not suitable for human consumption can be sold in tablet form with no obvious legal redress."

Sadly, this isn't the first time someone has been poisoned by DNP in hopes of losing weight.

In the early 1900s, the pill was in fact used as a weight loss aide, but it was later discovered that it was too toxic for human consumption.

Now Chris's parents are hoping that their son's death can serve as a cautionary tale for others and that steps will be taken to prevent the sales of dangerous pills over the internet.

[Image via Facebook.]

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Joan Rivers' Best Quotes & One-Liners
Joan Rivers' Style Through The Years: An Homage To Fashion's Most Colorful Critic
18 Simple Steps To Avoid Having An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge FAIL!
Celebrities Taking The Ice Bucket Challenge!
Robin Williams' Co-Stars' Miss Their Inspirational Leading Man And Their Friend! Their Mournful Statements Are Heartbreaking!
Robin Williams' Most Unforgettable Roles
Email this  »

2 comments to “18-Year-Old Rugby Player Dies After Taking Poisonous Diet Pill”



  1. 1

    Two pills? That must be some bada$$ long-lasting diet pill OR expensive. Maybe you mean 2,4-Dinitrophenol? Think about it. Or maybe you just copied the wording from another website? Nah, Not.Possible.

  2. @v@ says – reply to this


    2

    Oh, no. So sad, he maybe just wanted to look better for the girls or whatever. Hope they chase those ba*tards down.