Nigella Lawson has had a crazy year — from finalizing her divorce, to taking the stand in the past few weeks during a court case to reveal her past drug use.
We've learned a LOT about her, for better or for worse! We've been pretty shocked by both the allegations of addiction and what she's admitted to, so here are a few of her most shocking moments to us!
- She HAS done cocaine, but she claims it's way less than addiction, and gave a very specific number of times she's done it. Seven times total, to be exact, between two periods in her life: 6 times with her dying husband years ago, and once when things were at their worst with her recent ex-husband, Charles Saatchi.
- She HAS done other drugs as well, most notably smokin' dat weed — RECENTLY, too! She even admitted to using it in front of her two kids.
- Charles Saatchi KNEW about her cocaine use, and her version of the extent of it. She said:
"With regards to the cocaine use I admitted to when my first husband was dying, Mr. Saatchi knew about that. But he did not know about the one occasion in July 2010 and he did not know about the cannabis use."
- She clarified the 'Choking Incident!' Here's what she said to clear things up:
"Charles told everyone that he was taking cocaine out of my nose…What actually happened was that somebody walked by with a very cute baby in a stroller and I said, 'I am so looking forward to having grandchildren.' And he grabbed me by the throat and said, 'I am the only person you should be concerned with—I am the only person who should be giving you pleasure.'"
- She is NOT an addict! That is, if we're to take her testimony as truth and not a way to cover up said addiction, though we're not sure how anyone could prove she isn't telling the truth at the moment! She said:
"I am not proud of the fact that I have taken drugs, but that does not make me a drug addict or a habitual drug user. Do you think a regular cocaine user looks like this? They are scrawny and unhealthy. If I was taking drugs to the extent you say, I would not be able to stand up here today. If you think I would sabotage my health and leave my children orphans, you are wrong…I have never knowingly met a drug dealer or bought cocaine."
Regardless, this case has been super fascinating, and we feel SO BAD that it appears she was in such an abusive relationship for so long! While we'd never condone drug use, we can certainly empathize with her situation and understand (at least a little bit) what brought her to the decision to do them.
We wonder if anything else will surface as the trial of the two sisters accused of using a company card as a personal piggy bank as it continues!