We totally get that wasting food in this world is a HUGE problem, and we like the idea of trying to use everything you can before it goes bad — but not if it puts your life in danger!
Cutting off the mold from some cheeses, or using the slices of bread from the opposite end of all the mold might not be the best idea… especially if you don't know what you're looking for! It could end with you having permanent nerve damage or even KILL YOU!
Here's how you avoid all the awful things:
Mold grows in very thin, very thread-like structures called Hyphae. That means you might not always be able to see what's been tainted and what hasn't! There could even be bacteria cultures around the mold as well!
1. If the food is soft or porous, the mold could be spidering it's way through areas you can't even see. That means bread, cake, fruit and veggies — there's probably Hyphae you can't see! Don't risk it!
2. Hard cheeses though, and things like carrots or salami, you can probably cut away the bad and still have access to the good.
3. If you do cut away the bad and plan to eat the good, make sure you take off some of the surrounding area as well!
4. COLD PIZZA IS NOT A HARD FOOD. It's just a cold soft food!
Whether you attempt to eat past-its-prime food for conservation reasons or just the munchies, you still have to be safe!
That's why the best conservation method is to just buy enough to eat in its entirety in the first place BEFORE it goes bad!
Tags: advice, conservation, food, gifs, icky icky poo, mold, nerve damage, pizza, scary, tips, veggies