GROSS! 22 People Get Sick From Obstacle Course After Crawling In Mud Contaminated With Animal Feces!
If you're thinking of signing up for an obstacle course sometime soon, you might want to rethink that!
Back in 2012, 22 people who competed in an adventure race on a cattle ranch in Beatty, Nevada spent the next week dealing with a fever, nausea, and worst of all — bloody diarrhea!
The Centers for Disease Control found that the racers had been infected with a bacteria known as campylobacter coli, which causes symptoms like fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and cramping for about a week!
It gets even worse, as the CDC says there's a "significant association" between the infection and accidentally SWALLOWING contaminated water during the course of the race!
That's right! These racers all got sick because they accidentally ingested animal poop!
We think we're gonna have to stay away from obstacle courses in the future and stick with a nice, clean, feces-free gym!
Tags: bacteria, beatty, campylobacter coli, cdc, centers for disease control, contaminated, feces, fitness, health, icky icky poo, infected, mud, nevada, obstacle course, participants, poop, racers, sick