This is incredibly brave!
[Image via Ivan Nikolov/Andres Otero/WENN.]
Lian Kao, a Taiwanese student, lost her vision after eyeball-eating amoebas grew on her contacts!!
The amoebas formed on her contacts after she left them in for six months without ever changing or cleaning them!
That's why the single-celled critters formed and started an acanthamoeba infection. The amoebas began to burrow into Kao's eyes, affecting her vision, eventually causing her to go blind.
"A shortage of oxygen can destroy the surface of the epithelial tissue, creating tiny wounds into which the bacteria can easily infect, spreading to the rest of the eye and providing a perfect breeding ground. The girl should have thrown the contact lenses away after a month but instead she overused them and has now permanently damaged her corneas."
Instead of replacing her contacts when she should've, she would sleep with them in!
She'd even wear them while swimming!
We feel awful that she's lost her vision but now hopefully others can learn from her story…
Clean your contacts people!!