This is awful!
A mother of three, Jan Harding, is fighting for her life in the Salt Lake City hospital's burn unit after an alleged accident of disastrous proportions.
The 67-year-old, who is also a grandmother and a retired school teacher, was recently eating at Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan, Utah, after attending church when she took a sip of her sweet tea. She immediately spat it out and said to her husband Jim, "I think I just drank acid."
It turns out that one of the workers at the restaurant had somehow mistaken the lye, a cleaning product, for sugar and had poured a ton of the poisonous material into the self-serve beverage station vat. Jan is believed to have suffered severe mouth and throat burns, and is currently unable to even talk.
The family has hired attorney Paxton Guymon who was visibly livid at a press conference on Thursday when he said:
"It's disturbing that this kind of toxic, poisonous material would be in the food prep area and somehow find its way into the iced tea vat. I don't know how something like that can happen."
Since Jan Harding was the first to have any of the sweet tea for that day, no other patrons were injured by the deadly tea.
It's unclear whether police will charge the restaurant or the employee for the incident as they believe that it was an accident.
Whether the employee will face internal discipline from the restaurant is unclear at this point, too.
Meanwhile Jan Harding's doctors are extremely concerned about the victim of this horrible incident as they have found "deep, ulcerated burns covering the upper esophagus." They believe that "it’s looking more likely she will need surgery now."
Her attorney said:
"This means she is still in a very touch-and-go situation and she remains closely monitored by doctors. There’s been no signs of improvement; this is still very much a life-threatening situation."
Ugh! Such a horrible accident to happen to someone!
The restaurant is surprisingly STILL open after the Sunday incident as the main Food Protection Bureau person from the Salt Lake County Health Department found that all of their chemicals were labeled and were away from the food items.
But if that is the case - then how did this happen?!
Someone must be held responsible for this possibly deadly event… even if it was an accident, right?!
[Image via AP Images.]
Tags: accident, burns, critical, Dickey s Barbecue Pit, Dickeys Barbecue Pit, drank, food, health, injury, jan harding, lye, lyme, sad sad, scary, sugar, sweet tea, utah