Who knew making snake soup would be so dangerous??
Everybody. The answer is everybody knows how dangerous making snake soup is. Even if you don’t know what snake soup is, c’mon. It’s called snake soup.
Unfortunately, a chef in Southern China took the risk and paid the price while cooking a cobra in his restaurant last week.
Peng Fan cut off the deadly creature’s head and had began whipping up this Asian delicacy. But 20 minutes after decapitating the cobra, the snake BIT Peng!
He was injected with neurotoxic venom and died soon after.
Cobra meat is a sought after dish in high-end restaurants found in the Guandong province. Lin Sun was dining with his wife when this tragedy occurred.
He explained what he saw, saying:
"We were in the restaurant having a meal for my wife's birthday when suddenly there was a lot of commotion. We did not know what was happening but could hear screams coming from the kitchen. There were calls for a doctor in the restaurant but unfortunately by the time medical assistance arrived the man had already died. After we heard that we did not continue with our meal."
Unfortunately, Peng never had a chance to receive anti-venom at the hospital. Authorities are saying this is a highly unusual case and a complete accident.
A police spokesman stated afterwards:
"There was nothing that could be done to save the man. Only the anti-venom could have helped but this was not given in time. He prepared the snake himself and was just unlucky. It was just a tragic accident.”
We hope other chefs out there are extremely careful the next time they are serving up some snake soup. Or, you know, maybe they’ll take that dish off their menu!
It just might save their life!
Tags: chef, china, cobra, dead, died, food, gifs, killed, police, scary!, slithering snakes, snake, soup, tragedy