1) You’re a busy working mom: how have you found balance between your home and work life?
You know, I take it day by day. You said it perfectly. Trying not to be perfect all the time is a big one. Some days work better than others and some completely get away from me. If I’ve been out of town working, I try to be 100% present when I do have time with my daughter. I turn off the phone and let her choose our activities.
2) What’s the most important thing that your own parents taught you?
To dream big. There is no reason to not do what you love for a living. Life is short so make it count!
3) What’s the most important thing that your daughter has taught you?
The biggest thing I’ve learned from Owen is patience. I try not to sweat the small stuff anymore. She’s also helped teach me that I don’t want to live to work. I want to work to live.
4) What’s your favorite thing to bake/cook and do you share that passion in the kitchen with Owen?
My favorite thing to bake are pies. Especially in the summer when there are so many different varieties of fruit available and at their peak. My mother had my sister and I in the kitchen at an early age and some of my most cherished memories evolved there. I wanted to start that tradition in my own home with Owen. She loves measuring out ingredients and helping me plan meals at the market.
5) How has Owen inspired you professionally and are there any bands/musicians whom you both equally adore?
Not only am I a musician but my husband is as well, along with a few of her aunts and uncles. There really is no escaping it in our house. It’s just a way of life. When you become a parent, I think you really are forced to figure out what you value and that has helped my writing immensely. We both love listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and she loves singing show tunes with me while we clean the house.
6) What’s your favorite family ritual once you’re home, relaxing and all in the same place?
When I am home with downtime we like to spend as much time as possible outside in our garden. We pick veggies, gather eggs from our chicken coop. We love going on nature walks and going to the farmer’s market. We also love having people over for casual weekend dinner. We’re very low key.
We LOVE Michelle, we're sure we're gonna hear a lot more from her in the new year!