A 10-year-old boy got a gross surprise when a worm came out of a Capri Sun pouch's yellow straw that he was drinking.
While drinking it, he started choking and had to pull the worm out of his mouth. His mother, Christina Stewart, was horrified, then called Kraft Foods who gave her a nonchalant response, only offering her "her money back, like it was no big deal." They also said they would call her back in 48 hours, which they have yet to do.
Then, Kraft Foods sent the following statement:
"We're very sorry Ms. Stewart and her little boy had such an unpleasant experience. Of course, without seeing the material, we can only surmise, but we believe what she's identified as a worm may actually be mold. Since our Capri Sun products are made without preservatives — a fact many moms like — if there's even a small hole in a pouch and air gets into it, mold similar to common bread mold can form. This is why we advise on the side of the box to discard any leaking pouches.
We do know that, among the many, many millions of pouches we sell each year, this has occasionally happened to others, and, when we've been able to examine the material, it has, in fact, turned out to be mold, not worms.
With regard to Ms. Stewart's call to us, before our representative could ask her to send us the pouch in question, Ms. Stewart disconnected the call. However, we will ask one of our executive consumer representatives to call her."
WTF?! What a ridiculously passive agressive letter! Most companies wouldn't dare be so brash in sending something like that to their customers!
The boy's doctor also looked at the "material" in question and thought that it was a worm also, but just to confirm, it's been sent to a lab for confirmation.
And the worst part, it turns out, this isn't the first time. Many other customers have filed complaints that they've seen worms in the pouches.
SO GROSS!! And Kraft's response is totally unacceptable!
They should apologize to this mother and dammit, start making clear pouches!!!