When Hattie Garlick was laid off from her newspaper job just five days before Christmas, she and her hubby had to re-evaluate their spending-
Even on their 2-year-old son!
So Hattie has decided to go minimalist, attempting to go an entire year without spending one unnecessary penny.
OK, obviously she can't spend NO money- the kid has to eat! And medicine can't count- this is about cutting unnecessary expenses!
1. NO KID FOOD- Her son will eat plain old adult food, nothing marketed children.
2. NO NEW CLOTHES- Her son will have to get by on hand-me-downs.
3. TOYS & ACTIVITIES- The fam will make their own fun- painting, reading, walking, and learning are all pretty cheap!
4. DIAPERS- Washable, reusable diapers. Yep.
If you think all might be too hard for any modern parent to accomplish, you're not alone! Even Hattie has her doubts. She says:
"There will be some inevitable bumps along the road. Possibly mountains. Followed by some craters. But if it actually turns out that the kid is suffering in any way from not having something, (or we are), then we’ll have to rethink.
The idea is that he should be having just as much fun, food and love as before. Just without spending money on them."
Well we say bravo! People absolutely spend too much on things, for kids and for themselves!
And while we don't think the minimalist lifestyle is for everyone, we know it's important for some people to go to extremes to show us what our limits are!
We'll be very interested to see how it goes!
[Image via Twitter.]
Celeb Baby Laundry
- Jerseylicous Star Tracy DiMarco is Pregnant
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Celebrate Prince George's First Birthday By Releasing New Photos
- Kimberly Stewart And Her Daughter Delilah Stop For A Healthy Juice Break (Photos)
- Switched at Birth Recap For July 21, 2014: Season 3 Episode 17 #SwitchedAtBirth