At 13 years old, Maya Van Wagenen decided to do something a lot of young girls do at that age: start a diary!
The only difference is, hers came with a plan. She would be journaling how she was struggling to fit in, while taking advice from a book from the 1950s that claimed to be able to fix her issues called the Betty Cornell Glamour Guide For Teens.
It was quite the experiment, and now DreamWorks has snatched up the rights to the story!!
Not only that, but the diary is also being turned into a book series by Penguin, and she's only 15! The deal with DreamWorks makes her the youngest non-actor to ever make a feature deal with them!
- Every girl should wear a girdle.
- Be the girl who . . can do a million and one tricks with a strand of pearls.
- As for making up your eyes, don't. Young eyes need no enhancement.
Sounds like flawless advice to us!! LOLz!
While nobody has signed on to write the movie officially, we're hearing that Sex and the City screenwriter Amy B Harris. Maya's books are called Popular: One Geek's Quest For The Impossible.
While a lot of the advice might sound pretty dated, Maya was able to take away the timeless advice: being open, honest and kind to everyone.
Oh, and remember that deal with Penguin? Yeah, it's supposedly in the $300,000 range!
Maya even got to meet and befriend Betty herself, who was 24 when she wrote the book!
So fab! Congrats, Maya! We can't wait to read/see what you've done!!
[Image via Pocket Books, Inset via Twitter.]
Celeb Baby Laundry
- Zoe Saldana is 3 Months Pregnant With Her First Child
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale Enjoyed A Family Day With Their Sons Kingston, Zuma and Apollo (PHOTOS)
- Jerseylicous Star Tracy DiMarco is Pregnant
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Celebrate Prince George's First Birthday By Releasing New Photos