A young boy, 7, named Calder Sloan and known to his family as Mr. Awesome, has sadly died.
The worst kind of accidents are the preventable ones. Especially when it results in the death of child.
Calder was swimming in his family pool at their home in Miami, Florida. He was being watched by his nanny, while racing her adult son in the pool.
The man felt a shock in the water and jumped out, yelling for Calder to get out too. But the young boy was underwater and couldn't hear him, taking the full brunt of the faulty light short circuiting.
The shock was apparently so intense, it launched him out of the pool. Neighbors rushed to the home and did CPR on Calder until paramedics got there.
His parents quickly got home and rushed their child to the hospital, but it was too late. He was already gone.
His father said:
"He was heaven-sent. Any success in the world you've accumulated - financial, professional - anything you've accumulated means nothing when you lose a child, especially one who was such a gift to this world. I'm numb. It's very hard to cry anymore. He was simply what he was. He was Mr. Awesome."
That is so absolutely horrible. We can't even imagine what they're going through.
After investigating, electricians found that the light switch to the pool wasn't properly grounded. The family had work done on the pool light 9 months ago, but couldn't remember what contractor they used.
Someone did their job wrong, and now a child is dead. An entire life stolen, because someone screwed up.
That's so terrible. May Calder rest in peace.
[Image via Miami Herald.]
Tags: boy, child, dead, death, died, florida, horrible, hospital, miami, parents, pool, r.i.p., sad sad, swimming, terrible, water, young