Many people saw Pharrell Williams’ oversized Grammys hat and found it hard to wrap their heads around!!
Maybe because it was just so BIG, and designed to wrap around a head…instead of be wrapped around by heads. Ha!
But while the overwhelming piece may seem like nothing beyond a bold fashion statement, it’s actually MUCH more than that!
Here are 7 reasons why …AFTER THE JUMP!!!
1. It was designed by Vivienne Westwood!
2. The design is vintage, and originated from the 1980s!
3. The hat first appeared in Sex Pistols producer Malcolm McLaren’s Buffalo Gals music video!
4. Pharrell wore the hat as a tribute to the late Malcolm, whose birthday was in January!
5. In 2010, Westwood revived the “Buffalo" or "Mountain" Hat from her 1982 fall/winter collection!
6. Pharrell bought the Grammys hat from London’s World’s End. And while his is a copy of the vintage design, he hopes to one day own a version that was actually made in the ‘80s!
7. If anyone is interested in purchasing their own Buffalo/Mountain Hat for $180, they’ll definitely be stocked at her Melrose location again starting this March (though calls to the store for pre-orders are recommended)! In the past, they've come in the following colors: camel, black, navy, green, bordeaux, red, fuchsia pink felt, and woven straw. Thus far it seems like Pharrell has a brown (camel?), gray (black?), and red one. For anyone about to call them up to pre-order though, we hear they will only be available in black and brown.
The more you know, right??
Finally, as a heads-up for all the aspiring fashionistas out there, this type of hat is supposedly making a comeback and replacing the fedora.
CLICK HERE to view the award Pharrell won partially thanks to this notorious headpiece!
[Image via WENN/Getty Images/Vivienne Westwood.]