The day of the Scottish deerhound has finally come at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
Hickory, a 5-year-old female from Virginia, became the first of her breed to win Best in Show at Westminster, taking the top prize on the second and final day of the event at New York's Madison Square Garden on Tuesday.
Judge Paolo Dondina said Hickory fit exactly the same Scottish deerhound standards that he'd studied long ago.
Besides Hickory and Ladybug, the other group winners — and Best of Show finalists — were:
– Toy: A Pekingese named Malachy
– Non-sporting: A Chinese shar-pei named Jayne
– Herding: A bearded collie named Mister Baggins
– Sporting: A black cocker spaniel named Beckham
– Terrier: A smooth fox terrier named Adam
– Working: A Portuguese water dog (like Obama's pooch) named Ladybug
Terriers have won 45 of the 104 Westminster Best in Show titles. More than 2,000 dogs, representing 179 breeds, were competing in this year's show.
[Image via AP Images.]
Tags: breeds, dogs, judge, kennel, new york, pooch, show, terrier