18-year-old rugby player Chris Mapletoft died recently after he took a diet pill that turned out to be poisonous.
The teenager out of Twickenham, London purchased 2,4-dinitrophenol (also known as DNP) online in hopes to shed a few pounds, but the chemical turned out to be too toxic for human consumption. The same chemical is known to be used in pesticides.
Chris's father David Mapletoft was with him when he said he began feeling nauseous and started showing fever-like symptoms. He called an ambulance once Chris began having difficulty breathing, but by the time it arrived he had already died.
David and his wife Lesley Mapletoft had no idea their son was taking the pill, and they are outraged that something so dangerous was so easily available online: