Wal-Mart stores across the U.S. have pulled the popular baby formula brand Enfamil after officials say it may have killed a 10-day-old infant.
Avery Cornett of Springfield, MO died Sunday of what is believed to be a rare infection that is sometimes linked to bacteria found in the formula.
The young boy appeared lethargic and was sweaty, even though he was cold to the touch. He seemed to have a stomach ache when he was taken to the hospital. After tests were taken, doctors saw that he had contracted the bacteria Cronobacter sakazii.
A health department administrator said:
"It could be something that happened during the feedings or during the processing of the formula when it was being prepared for feeding."
Tests are currently being done to determine if the newborn's death was a reslt of ingesting the formula, or the water that made the formula.
A Mead Johnson Nutrition spokesman said:
"We are highly confident in the safety and quality of our products — and the rigorous testing we put them through."
Meanwhile, Wal-Mart has taken all cans of of the formula off their shelves and released this statement:
"We extend our deepest condolences to this baby boy's family as they try to come to grips with their loss, As soon as we heard what happened, we immediately reached out to the manufacturer of the formula and to the Department of Health and Senior Services to provide any information we may have to help with the investigation."
Customers can exchange Enfamil Newborn formula in 12.5-ounce cans for another brand or get a full refund.
We are just so saddened by this. We can't even imagine what those parents are going through. Our thoughts and prayers go out to them.