This Hot Pepper Literally Tore A HOLE In A Man's Esophagus — Read The Haunting Cautionary Tale HERE!
Let this be a lesson to anyone thinking about taking a ghost pepper challenge.
According to the Journal of Emergency Medicine, a 47-year-old man burned a HOLE in his esophagus after ingesting "ghost pepper puree" on top of a burger in a food eating contest.
For those who don't know, the ghost pepper is extremely dangerous due to its rating on the Scoville scale, a system which measures the intensity of peppers. Let's just say these bad boys are incredibly HOT — an average jalapeño is just 3,500 units; the ghost pepper rates more than a MILLON units!
Shortly after the poor guy ate the puree, he started "violently retching and vomiting" even after gulping down six glasses of large water. The man was then rushed to the hospital after the pain continued to increase.
Luckily, medical professionals were able to determine he was suffering from Boerhaave syndrome AKA spontaneous esophageal rupture. The tear was a whopping 2.5 cm, which is pretty significant when you consider it occurred in the esophagus.
Check out an x-ray of the trauma (below)!